On the eve of 1880, inventor Thomas Edison unveiled the first practical incandescent light bulb, sparking one of the greatest revolutions of innovation the world has ever known. Three years later, Edison developed the first central electric power station, located on Pearl Street in New York City, launching a new industry and giving rise to modern electric utility.
Seeing the promising future of electric power, mechanical engineer Frederick Sargent and electrical engineer Ayres Lundy had entered the field. In 1891, the two men partnered in Chicago to form their namesake company, Sargent & Lundy. Individually, they had already earned recognition for their technical talent and foresight. Sargent was one of Thomas Edison’s most capable early associates. Lundy was a highly regarded colleague of electric railway pioneer Frank Sprague.
Almost immediately, the firm took on a highly publicized project, designing the city’s Harrison Street Station, which was celebrated as a marvel of power generation and transmission. This auspicious beginning set the company’s course toward work that advanced the industry and helped clients succeed through each era of power industry change.
Today, Sargent & Lundy remains a world leader in power generation and transmission, having designed and engineered more than 900 power plants globally. The firm’s scope spans the industry’s diverse power generation and power transmission technologies. With a history intertwined with the foundation of the power business and a deep-rooted understanding of the industry, Sargent & Lundy’s future looks brighter than ever as it celebrates 125 years of powerful ideas that have helped energize the world.